Wednesday, October 10, 2007

how i got here

I'm a food writer, a cook, and an unapologetic food snob. I am also someone who has managed to gain a good thirty pounds since graduating college two years ago (at which time, not incidentally, I was already heavier than I'd like). As my pants size crept ever higher, I continually resolved to lose the weight before going home and eating three bowls of linguini carbonara. Then, about a month ago, I found out that four (!) of my friends from my improv classes were on Weight Watchers.

Now. Prior to this, I had a very definite picture of the kind of person who was on Weight Watchers in my mind. She was a dumpy, middle-aged secretary in some Midwestern suburb with motivational kitten posters on her wall and a copy of The Secret in her handbag (in addition to being a food writer, a cook, and a food snob, I am also an asshole). None of the girls in my improv class fit that description in the slightest, unless you want to equate a wall full of motivational kitten posters with an obsession with I Can Has Cheezburger, which I really don't want to do because it would be unflattering to myself. Anyways, the next night I went to a meeting on the Upper West Side with my friend Angela. I started following the Flex Plan the next day. That was on September 18, 2007. I've lost ten pounds so far.

I am totally, unironically in love with Weight Watchers because it lets me eat whatever I want. If I want some carbonara (seriously guys, I make the best carbonara), I can have a little. If I feel like making brownies after a stressful day at work, it's not a big deal. The key is moderation, which is something that I personally cannot manage without rules (the point system) and accountability (weekly weigh-ins and meetings). I probably eat about half the amount that I did a month ago, but I've never once been hungry at the end of the day.

Here's the thing, though: I'm willing to eat less. I'm willing to move more. What I'm not willing to do is eat shitty food. Listen, being able to shop for excellent ingredients is one of my top five favorite things about living in New York. I'm not going to buy low-fat cheese (truly, one of the more disgusting things in this world). I'm not going to eat low-quality low-point chocolate. I flatly refuse to truck with Splenda. Most of the Weight Watchers recipes make me want to puke. I truly believe that I can lose the weight without compromising my deep food snobbery. Hence, this blog. I imagine I'll post rants, recipes, and maybe even some general food news. I'm open to suggestions so do leave comments if you have any.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh i too wont dare give up the yummies to loose weight, if im gonna cut the portions then the flavor has to be fantastic, else no ways.

I look forward to seeing more of your recipes!!

I have a food blog up too, just started it on the weekend but its on wordpress, there is a link on my blogger though if you'd like to check it out. I have some yummy pasta recipes on there. :)

Good going on the weight loss so far! Keep it up!!